Tuesday, December 16, 2008

#49: Love of Languages

Learning languages is something here in America leave behind usually after high school. Americans usually settle in to their lives and jobs and people are fairly comfortable with just English here in the states.

I personally regretted the fact that I did not join one of these classes to learn a different language. I was very interested in French and also in Japanese and sometimes I think "Where will I find the chance again to learn these languages for free?". Well in the age of information there is always a chance to learn through library systems or even online. At first online courses would charge you a fee to go through their modules. Now it's a different age where you can receive classes for free by learning through audio, visual and typing.

The website www.livemocha.com is a great website that definitely fits my needs. I find it easy to use and easy to pick up. Usually in classes you have a time frame and a finish date. Here you yourself are your own teacher. I've learned Italian to the intermediate level and have been adding friends to speak to them in Italian while they send me English messages to practice it.

Right now I'm going to keep learning Italian and hope to visit Italy to visit some of their beautiful architecture and monuments. I'm sure I can use Italian at work as we have a couple of Italian customers that come in. They do know English but it would be great to communicate with them and maybe even learn a couple things in Italian.

No comments: