Tuesday, November 4, 2008

#38 Console Gaming

For those of you who visit the libraries you'll find a different environment than several years ago.

When you walk in you may hear the same boisterous kids that where playing outside now inside the library. This is because the dynamics of libraries have changed and now accommodate teens as future patrons. The library isn't the same boring place you used to go when in middle or high school. Now video games systems are being added, tables with chess, beans bags for kids to connect their Nintendo DS Lites, Go boards to play and other table top board games.

Teen time has expanded exponentially into something as a force to be reckoned in. Back in the late 70's and 80's the only place you could meet up to play games with friends where an arcade. Friends from school would go to meet you up and try to beat that high score someone posted. You would have to bring rolls of quarters and patience to succeed.

Playing on the Arcade Retro website brought back memories. I remember being 6 and going with my older cousin to the local arcade. I'm sure he didn't think it was cool to bring his younger cousin as he was 12 to the local arcade but when we would visit he had no choice.

Fortunately my parents would always give me at least $5.00 in quarters and that was enough for my cousin to bring me along. Cousin tax was $2.50 worth of my quarters but it was worth being in those local arcades.

The smell the, the darkness, the glare off a video game screen it was a magical place to me. My favorite game was Space Invaders. I would watch this guy play for almost an hour to beat the game then I'd hop on and ask him to teach me. He gave me plenty of pointers but of course helped me alot in the latter stages (or gave up the controller). I also though that blasting those aliens was a mandate for any human being. I don't think without that game my hand and eye coordination would be as great as it is today.

Fast forward into the 21st century and times have surely changed. Arcades have all but died out here in the U.S. So where does a kid go for his fix?

Well now you have the internet. That magical wire that lets you join other people half way across the globe to exchange ideas, information and a good butt whooping.

Yes people can buy video game consoles and join other people online for some good competitive play.

We have a Nintendo Wii here at the library that suits what we need here perfectly. Most other console games may have connections for more than two controllers but most games on the Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 are either made for 1 to 2 players in mind.

The Nintendo Wii and the consoles before it have always been known as the "party" game system. 4 players all playing Super Smash Brothers: Brawl at once is a sight to see. These kids sitting on the edge of their seat as someone goes flying off the screen to lose. Not only does it elicit laughs and cries of denial but smiles from parents. They see their child socializing and know this is a setting where they can loosen up.

It also has a Wi-Fi card already installed so we can do cross library matches through our wireless system. Imagine tournaments where there is a grand prize where all the kids in the libraries play for.

It's an awesome experience that can be better experienced than being told.

No comments: